Skip to main content

Music in Motion Week 2

This week was full of singing, stomping, and smiling in the music room. Students got a chance to play instruments, and explore steady beat in multiple ways. Div II classes were introduced to composer/actor Lin-Manuel Miranda who wrote music for Vivo, Moana, Encanto, Mufasa, Hamilton, and many more. 

The Andrew Sibbald Choir will be starting on Tuesday, September 16 during lunchtime for Grades 3-5 students. This is a voluntary extra-curricular club that will meet once a week to work on proper singing techniques, explore a variety of songs, and have an opportunity to perform. Choir is a fantastic way for students to build friendships, develop a sense of belonging, and enjoy music together. 

Forms for choir were sent home with students that were interested. If your Grade 3-5 child is interested, but didn't get a form, please some see Mrs. Odegard on Monday. 

Kindergarten

  • I can follow classroom routines and procedures
  • I can move in different ways throughout a space
  • I can keep a steady beat
  • I can sing and speak with a group

In Kindergarten, students practiced keeping the beat in a variety of different ways, to several songs and rhymes. Students learned the rhyme "Caterpillar, Caterpillar" and had a visit from a special guest. Ask your student about Calvin the Caterpillar.


Grade 1 

  • I can move in different ways throughout a space
  • I can keep a steady beat
  • I can sing and speak with a group
  • I can identify high and low sounds

Grade 1 focused on steady beat and high and low this week. We learned the rhyme "Hickory Dickory" where students kept the steady beat in many ways including playing the Tick-Tock Block and wood block. Students also played the Glockenspiel during the high and low parts of the rhyme. 



Grade 2

  • I can move in different ways throughout a space
  • I can keep a steady beat
  • I can play barred instruments with proper technique
  • I can sing and speak with a group
  • I can identify and sing sol, mi, la intervals
Grade 2 students sang "Snail, Snail" this week. We played the Swirl Game and got to play a steady beat accompaniment on the Glockenspiels. Students practiced singing and identifying sol, mi, la singing patterns, and sang beautifully together. 



Grade 3

  • I can move in different ways throughout a space
  • I can speak in rhythm with expression
  • I can perform alone and in groups
  • I can keep a steady beat on rhythm instruments with proper playing technique
  • I can identify and sing sol, mi, la intervals

In Grade 3 Music, students participated in the game "Jump In, Jump Out." Lucky volunteers got to rap solos, telling us their name and little bit about themselves. We added rhythm instruments to give the song more texture, and added a melody using sol, mi, la intervals. 


Grade 4 & Grade 5

  • I can follow classroom routines and procedures
  • I can speak in rhythm with expression
  • I can perform alone and in groups
  • I can keep a steady beat on rhythm instruments with proper playing technique
In Grade 4 and 5 Music, students participated in the game "Jump In, Jump Out." Lucky volunteers got to rap solos, telling us their name and little bit about themselves. We added rhythm instruments to give the song more texture. Students rose to the challenge of performing alone and with a group. Joy in the Music Room!


Comments