Skip to main content

Music in Motion Week 4

This week was busy as Grade 4 students prepared to host their Truth & ReconciliACTION Assembly. Thank you to our students and parents for making it such a special afternoon!


Kindergarten

  • I can follow classroom routines and procedures
  • I can move in different ways throughout a space
  • I can recognize high and low sounds
  • I can sing and speak with a group

In Kindergarten, students continued to work with high and low sounds. They learned the rhyme, "Apple Tree High & Low" while moving their bodies to the lyrics. Students also sang the song "Autumn Leaves Now are Falling." They used scarves to show how the leaves would flutter to the ground. Students also worked on recognizing different sections of a song.  


Grade 1 

  • I can follow classroom routines and procedures
  • I can move in different ways throughout a space
  • I can recognize and play high and low sounds on barred instruments
  • I can sing and speak with a group

In Grade 1, students continued to work with high and low sounds. They learned the rhyme, "Apple Tree High & Low" while moving their bodies to the lyrics. Students also explored playing high and low sounds on the xylophone to match the lyrics of the rhyme. Grade 1s also sang the song "Autumn Leaves Now are Falling." They used scarves to show how the leaves would flutter to the ground. Students also worked on recognizing different sections of a song.  


Grade 2

  • I can keep identify the difference between beat and rhythm
  • I can recognize ta and ti-ti
  • I can create and play four beat patterns using ta and ti-ti
  • I can sing and speak with a group
Grade 2 students worked with the notes ta and ti-ti this week. They created their own rhythm patterns and spoke/clapped the rhythms along with the song "Engine Engine."
Students also learned the Cree song Kinanaskomitinan (Song for Giving Thanks) by Sherryl Sewepagaham. As a class they talked about things they are grateful for.


Grade 3

  • I can keep the beat in a variety of different ways
  • I can perform alone and in groups
  • I can sing with good form and technique
  • I can identify the different sections to a song

In Grade 3 Music, with their "Friendship Stick Game Song" written by Sherryl Sewepagaham. Students worked in groups to create their own rhythm stick routine for the A Section of the song. Students had to make sure their routine kept the steady beat of the song, and incorporated the rhythm sticks of other people in their group.   


Grade 4 

  • I can keep the beat in a variety of different ways
  • I can perform alone and in groups
  • I can sing with good form and technique
  • I can play percussion and barred instruments with proper technique
This week, Grade 4 students continued preparing for their assembly this past Thursday. Students worked together to perform "Song for Yotin (Wind)" by Sherryl Sewepagaham. This wonderful Grade 4 group also created and performed a soundscape for the story, "This Land is a Lullaby" by Tonya Simpson. Students used a variety of instruments, and created different sounds using their voices and body percussion to help tell the story. Wonderful work, Grade 4 crew! 



Grade 5
  • I can keep the beat in a variety of different ways
  • I can perform alone and in groups
  • I can sing with good form and technique
  • I can identify the different sections to a song

In Grade 5 Music, with their "Friendship Stick Game Song" written by Sherryl Sewepagaham. Students worked in groups to create their own rhythm stick routine for the A Section of the song. Students had to make sure their routine kept the steady beat of the song, and incorporated the rhythm sticks of other people in their group.  


Comments