Kindergarten
- I can follow classroom routines and procedures
- I can move in different ways throughout a space
- I can move to the steady beat of a song
- I can sing with others
In Kindergarten, students moved and marched to the song, The Old Navy. They focused on recognizing and moving to the steady beat. Kinders also practiced singing together and learned a song about the colour red. Students discussed the Canadian Armed Forces and what the poppy means to Canadians.
Grade 1
- I can follow classroom routines and procedures
- I can sing and match pitch with others
- I can move to the strong beat
In Grade 1 Music, students practiced identifying not only the steady beat to a song, but also the strong beat. They sang the song, "Bounce the Ball" and focused on teamwork and bouncing the ball to the strong beat around the circle. Students sang O Canada, and chatted about the importance of poppies. Grade 1 students learned a song about the colour red, and have become quite the group of strong singers!
Grade 2
- I can move in different ways throughout a space
- I can sing and match pitch with others
- I can move and play instruments to the strong beat
Grade 2 students learned the song, Starlight, Starbright, continuing to work on sol-mi intervals. They practiced moving and playing instruments to beat one of each measure, which we learned was called the "strong beat." Students sang O Canada, and what the lyrics to the song actually means in our own words.
Grade 3
- I can move in different ways throughout a space
- I can move to the steady beat
- I can sing with others
- I can recognize the rhythm tika-tika
In Grade 3 Music, students learned the song
Old Brass Wagon. Students learned the dance that goes along with this song, which includes moves like do-si-do and promenade.
Classes worked on doing each dance move to the beat, focusing on being in sync with everyone. Lots of laughs and smiles in Grade 3 this week.
Students also listened to different versions of
O Canada, and got to practice singing our national anthem.
Grade 4
- I can identify and play both rhythm and beat
- I can perform alone and in groups
- I can sing with good form and vocal technique
- I can sing in two and three part canon
- I can play the rhythm ti-ta-ti-ta-ta
In Grade 4 students learned the song
My Paddle's Keen and Bright sometimes known as
Canoe Song. This song introduces a new uneven rhythmic concept. Students worked together to have "canoe races" and played the beat and rhythm on the Boomwhackers. Classes also chatted about how their Social Studies topics tie into the lyrics and story in our song. To finish off the week, students sang their song in canon. It has been fun to see their confidence in singing grow this week!
Grade 5
- I can identify and play both rhythm and beat
- I can perform alone and in groups
- I can sing with good form and vocal technique
- I can play the rhythm ti-ta-ti-ta-ta
Grade 5 students travelled to West Africa this week. Students learned the song Funga Alafia, a song inspired by the culture and music of Liberia and Nigeria.
Students sang this welcome song and played the beat and rhythm on the djembe drums. Funga Alafia introduces a new uneven rhythmic concept, and students soared in their ability to play the steady beat and rhythm together at the same time. I was so happy to see how students embraced singing in a new language, and showed interest in learning about instruments and music from West Africa.
Comments
Post a Comment