This week in the Music Room was all things Hip Hop in preparation for our SoundKreations Hip Hop Dance Residency beginning on Monday.
Choir Announcement:
For the next few weeks, choir students will be meeting on both Tuesdays and Thursdays during lunch recess. Although the Thursday rehearsals are optional, it would be awesome to see the majority of choir kids both days so we can solidify our songs for the Winter Concert.
I have created a Google Classroom for our choir students. The songs we are working on can be accessed through this Classroom. Students have been given the class code and can use it to join our Choir Google Classroom.
Kindergarten
- I can follow classroom routines and procedures
- I can tell the difference between singing and speaking
- I can perform independently and with a group
In Kindergarten, students experimented with the difference between singing and speaking voices. We took songs we already knew and turned them into Hip Hop songs by speaking/rapping the lyrics to a Hip Hop beat. Classes had a lot of fun practicing their MC skills by rapping into a microphone. This was good practice in identifying, moving, and performing to the beat of a song.
Grade 1
- I can follow classroom routines and procedures
- I can tell the difference between singing and speaking
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can tell the difference between short and long sounds
In Grade 1, students experimented with the difference between singing and speaking voices. We took songs we already knew and turned them into Hip Hop songs by speaking/rapping the lyrics to a Hip Hop beat. Classes had a lot of fun practicing their MC skills by rapping into a microphone. This was good practice in identifying, moving, and performing to the beat of a song.
Later in the week Grade 1 students experimented with the new rhythmic concept, ti-ti (eighth notes). They created and performed rhythm patters of ta and ti-ti.
Grade 2
- I can follow classroom routines and procedures
- I can tell the difference between singing and speaking
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can create four beat rhythm patters that include ta and ti-ti
In Grade 2, students experimented with the difference between singing and speaking voices. We took songs we already knew and turned them into Hip Hop songs by speaking/rapping the lyrics to a Hip Hop beat. Classes had a lot of fun practicing their MC skills by rapping into a microphone. This was good practice in identifying, moving, and performing to the beat of a song.
Later in the week, Grade 2 students created their own 4 beat patterns using ta and ti-ti, and performed them to a Hip Hop beat.
Grade 3
- I can tell the difference between singing and speaking
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can explore different genres of music
In Grade 3 Music, students learned about the origins of Hip Hop, and what the genre of music is all about; community, expressing yourself, creativity, and knowledge. Students applied their knowledge of the Regions of Alberta that they've been learning about in Social Studies, to create their own raps about specific regions. It was so fun to see their enthusiasm for what they've been learning in SS and apply it to our Music Class. We had a really great time rhyming, rapping, and bopping together.
Grade 4 & 5
- I can tell the difference between singing and speaking
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can explore different genres of music
In Grades 4 & 5 Music, students learned about the origins of Hip Hop, and what the genre of music is all about; community, expressing yourself, creativity, and knowledge. Students shared their ideas about what community means to them through writing lyrics and even performing them on the mic. It was so great to see their personalities come through in their writing and performing.
Comments
Post a Comment