Skip to main content

February 2-6

New Music Club!

Students interested in our new GLEE Club can come for information during the second half of lunch on Tuesday, Feb 10. This club in for students in Grades 3-5, will run from Feb-May and will be all about singing and dancing. We will sing popular music, and learn choreography to go along with our singing. 

Can't wait to see you there!


Kindergarten

  • I can respond to music in different ways through movement
  • I show AB form through movement
  • I can sing independently and with a group
  • I can play rhythm instruments with good technique

In Kindergarten, students sang to the song, "The More We Get Together." We got to sing everyone's names and talk about how music is a collaborative activity. Students also played a variety of new rhythm instruments. Ask your student what instruments they played.   





Grade 1

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can sing the intervals sol-mi
  • I can show musical form through movement
  • I can work cooperatively with peers

Our theme this month in Grade 1 is kindness and friendship. This week, Grade 1 students sang and moved to the song, "Hey There Friend." They performed a variety of actions and worked cooperatively with their classmates. 









Grade 2

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can sing the intervals sol-mi
  • I can show musical form through movement
  • I can work cooperatively with peers

In Grade 2, students worked on creating the characters from "Canada In My Pocket." Ask your child what character they illustrated. Then later in the week, students played the game to the song, "I Sent a Valentine."


                                                           










Grade 3

  • I can learn about composers and music from different genres
  • I can play the ukulele with proper form and technique
  • I can strum to the beat of a song

In Grade 3 Music, students finished up their composer study. Ask your child about the composer, Beethoven. Students were excited to start learning how to play the ukulele!







Grade 4 & 5

  • I can play the ukulele with proper form and technique
  • I can pluck strings with good technique
  • I can create an ostinato to accompany my singing
  • I can learn about different cultural celebrations.
In Grades 4 & 5 Music, students learned about Lunar New Year, and worked with a new ukulele technique. Students used the song "Dragon Song" to create their own repeated pattern using open string plucking on the ukulele. They notated their compositions, and I was so impressed at their work ethic! Great job!



 














Comments