Skip to main content

February 16-20

Recorders!

Students in Grades 3-5 will be using the recorder as a learning tool in March. Letters about playing the recorder are being sent home. Please have these back to Mrs. Odegard by Thursday, February 26.


Call for cardboard!

We are in need of 6-8 large appliance cardboard boxes for our upcoming Trickster residency 

March 2-6. 
If you have a large cardboard box available to donate, please contact Mrs. Odegard at ijodegard@cbe.ab.ca. 



Kindergarten

  • I can respond to music in different ways through movement
  • I can recognize and respond to short and long sounds

In Kindergarten, students moved to "Kangaroos" from Carnival of the Animals. We chatted about long and short sounds in music, and students demonstrated their learning through moving to this music. 


Grade 1

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can sing the intervals sol-mi
  • I can play the xylophone with good technique
  • I can read and play a variety of rhythms that include ta and ti-ti

This week, Grade 1 students sang, moved, and played to the song Tick Tock. We practiced playing a variety of rhythms on the woodblocks, and added xylophone accompaniment. Students were very focused and worked hard to show their learning. 


Grade 2

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can show musical form through movement and rhythm

In Grade 2, students worked with the song "Fig Leaf Rag" by Scott Joplin. We chatted about Ragtime, and the influence Joplin made to this genre of music.  Students played a variety of rhythm instruments to this song, incorporating different rhythms and patterns. 


                                           







Grade 3

  • I can learn about composers and music from different genres
  • I can play the ukulele with proper form and technique
  • I can strum to the beat of a song

In Grade 3 Music, students continued their work on playing the ukulele. Students learned another chord, F, and also accompanied themselves singing "Dragon Song" to recognize Lunar New Year. 



Grade 4 & 5

  • I can play the ukulele with proper form and technique
  • I can pluck strings with good technique
  • I can create an ostinato to accompany my singing
  • I can learn about different cultural celebrations.
In Grades 4 & 5 Music, students learned about Black History Month, black musicians who've impacted the evolution of popular music, and the 12 bar blues. Students played the 12 bar blues on the ukuleles and boomwhackers. 


 











Comments