Skip to main content

March 9-13

Recorders!

It's recorder time for our Grade 3-5 students. If you indicated on the letter sent home that you are purchasing a recorder through the school, be on the lookout for the fee to be added to your MyCBE account. 

MyCBE Account 

If your student is bringing a recorder from home, please remind them to bring them in to school as soon as possible, so we can all be ready once we start playing them in class. 



Kindergarten

  • I can respond to music in different ways through movement
  • I can recognize and respond loud and quiet sounds
  • I can move and respond to music in a variety of ways

This week in Kindergarten, students sang, moved, and played to the song "Dinosaurs." We practiced playing moving in a variety of ways, and chatted about loud and quiet sounds. Ask your student about the Dino friends that came to visit.


Grade 1

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can sing the intervals sol-mi-la
  • I can play cooperatively with the group

This week, Grade 1 students sang, moved, and played to the song "The Old Gray Cat." They followed the directions in the song to play a cat and mouse game. Later in the week, students were introduced to the song "Mr. Potato Head." They practiced singing specific intervals by themselves! I was so impressed at the supportive classmates and brave soloists. 


Grade 2

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can show musical form through movement 
  • I can learn about music from around the world. 

In Grade 2, students worked with the song "St. Patrick's Day Jig." We learned how to jig and talked about song form. We listened to instruments and music from Ireland, and chatted similarities and differences in this music. 


                  

Grade 3

  • I can compose music
  • I can create 4 beat patterns using ta, ti-ti, and rest
  • I can perform alone and in groups
  • I can move in a variety of ways to music

In Grade 3 Music, students composed a B section to our A-L-B-E-R-T-A song. They thought of places they loved best in Alberta, then took pencil to paper to compose 16 beats, creating a B section to our song. Ask your student to perform what they created! After performing for each other, students began prepping for the recorder by learning about the music staff. 








Grade 4 

  • I can identify lines and notes on the music staff
  • I can draw a treble clef sign
In Grade 4, students prepped for playing the recorder by working with the music staff. They learned about the treble clef sign, the lines on the staff as well as the note names when notes are on the lines. 


 
Grade 5
  • I can compose music using a variety of instruments
  • I can tell a story through musical sounds

Grade 5 students worked in groups and pairs to create a descriptive short story about the Yukon. They explored the sights and sounds of the Yukon and used these details to bring their stories to life. Finally, they told their story with music. Students selected instruments to create a soundscape that represented the environment and events in their stories.
 










Comments