Recorders!
Students are filled with anticipation of the arrival of our recorders. It should be any day now. If you indicated on the letter sent home that you are purchasing a recorder through the school, be on the lookout for the fee to be added to your MyCBE account.
If your student is bringing a recorder from home, please remind them to bring them in to school as soon as possible, so we can all be ready once we start playing them in class.
The Otomotone
In the Music room we have been enjoying a special instrument called the Otamatone. This delightful instrument is a Japanese synthesizer that uses a sensor to change pitch.
Kindergarten
- I can respond to music in different ways through movement
- I can identify and sort rhythm instruments into four different groups
- I can identify loud and quiet
This week in Kindergarten, students sang, moved, and played to the song "Dinosaurs." We matched the size and sound of these dinosaurs to some of the rhythm instruments in our class. Students learned about the four categories of non-pitched instruments: woods, shakers/scrapers, skins, metals.
Grade 1
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can listen and respond to music
- I can sing a variety of dynamics
- I can play cooperatively with the group
This week, Grade 1 students sang, and played to the song "Bunny Hides a Basket." Students hid and searched for a basket, with classmates giving clues using loud and quiet singing to show the seeker where the basket was hidden. Students did a marvelous job listening to the music and responding to what they heard.
Grade 2
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can play the glockenspiel with proper technique
- I can sing the intervals sol-mi-la
In Grade 2, students worked with the song "It's Raining, It's Pouring." They added a glockenspiel accompaniment, and got to explore a variety of rhythm instruments, adding texture to the song.
Grade 3
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can play the glockenspiel with proper technique
- I can sing the intervals sol-mi
- I can identify the notes E and G on the music staff
In Grade 3 Music, students worked with the song "Star Light, Star Bright." Students identified the notes E and G in preparation for playing the recorder, and accompanied themselves on the glockenspiel and other rhythm instruments. Some classes got to explore this melody on the ukulele.
Grade 4
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can play the ukulele with proper technique
- I can sing the intervals sol-mi
- I can identify the notes E and G on the music staff
- I can perform independently and with a group
- I can play the ukulele and barred instruments with proper technique
- I can sing the intervals sol-mi-la
- I can identify the notes E, G, and A on the music staff

Comments
Post a Comment