Skip to main content

May 11-15

Recorders: Grade 3-5 families, please make sure you've paid your recorder fee in your MyCBE account. 

MyCBE Account 


Kindergarten

  • I can respond to music in different ways through movement
  • I can respond to high and low sounds
  • I can experiment with my voice to make different sounds

This week in Kindergarten, students worked to use their voice in a variety of ways, focusing on high and low sounds. Students also made connections between instruments and animal sounds, finding common characteristics with each. 


Grade 1

  • I can sing independently and with a group
  • I can create patterns with long and short sounds
  • I can create rhythms using ta and ti-ti

This week, Grade 1 students sang the song "Oats, and Beans, and Barley Grow." They created a variety of rhythms and patters together, and even worked to create some of their own. Students also sang the song "Be Kind" by Joe Reilly. This has become a favourite tune. 




Grade 2

  • I can sing alone and with a group
  • I can read and play a variety of rhythms
  • I can play barred instruments with good technique

In Grade 2, students worked with the song "Frog in the Middle." They played a game to internalize the beat of the song, then learned two different barred instrument parts to play on the xylophone and glockenspiel. This was a great challenge for our Grade 2 musicians to have two very contrasting parts playing at the same time. 







Grade 3
  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can play the recorder with proper technique
  • I can analyze and respond when playing an instrument

Students in Grades 3 played "Rain Dance" and "Rain, Rain Go Away" this week on the recorder and xylophones. It was fun to see students put their recorder and xylophone skills together to create an instrumental ensemble. 


Grade 4

  • I can play the recorder with proper technique
  • I can compose and play a variation on an existing melody
  • I can analyze and respond when playing an instrument

Grade 4 students began working on their Hot Cross Buns Theme & Variations this week. After learning how to play "Hot Cross Buns," students were tasked with created their own version of the familiar tune. 











Grade 5

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can play the recorder with proper technique
  • I can analyze and respond when playing an instrument

Grade 5 students have begun working on Recorder Karate. In this recorder program, students practice a variety of songs, and once mastered, they can earn a "belt." These levels go all the way from White Belt to Black Belt and beyond!


Comments