Skip to main content

May 24-29

Our students have been enjoying the song "Be Kind" by Joe Reilly. A catchy melody with a beautiful message.

Be Kind


Recorders: Grade 3-5 families, please make sure you've paid your recorder fee in your MyCBE account. 

MyCBE Account 


Kindergarten 

  • I can respond to music in different ways through movement
  • I can respond to high and low sounds

This week in Kindergarten, students worked to show high and low sounds with movement and instruments. We explored "Aquarium" from Carnival of the Animals and learned the song "Do As I'm Doing." Students played high and low sounds on the glockenspiel and showed great recall on recognizing high and low pitches. 



Grade 1

  • I can sing alone and with a group
  • I can play a steady beat bordune on the xylophone
  • I can play la-sol-mi on the barred instruments
  • I can play barred instruments with good technique
Students in Grade 1 showed great musicianship this week by playing a steady beat bordune on the xylophone and the melody of "Drip, Drop" on the glockenspiel. They skillfully played the barred instruments as they sang the melody to the song. 






Grade 2

  • I can sing alone and with a group
  • I can recognize that beats can be put in groups of 3
  • I can show the strong and weak beats through movement

In Grade 2, students explored the 3/4 time signature while learning the song, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." We had fun acting out this song and showing the strong and weak beats in a variety of ways. A highlight of the week was when one of our Grade 2 students shared his talents with his class by bringing in his electric guitar and performing!






Grade 3

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can play the recorder with proper technique
  • I can analyze and respond when playing an instrument

This week, Grades 3 students learned the note B, and finally got to play "Hot Cross Buns." We explored a variety of tempos and styles in which this song can be played. Ask your student how fast they played "Hot Cross Buns."


Grade 4

  • I can play the recorder with proper technique
  • I can compose and play a variation on an existing melody
  • I can analyze and respond when playing an instrument

Grade 4 students performed their Hot Cross Buns Theme & Variations compositions. We also put a fun remix beat in for good measure. 



Grade 5

  • I can perform independently and with a group
  • I can play the recorder with proper technique
  • I can analyze and respond when playing an instrument

Grade 5 students wrapped up Recorder Karate, and reviewed all the notes they've learned on the recorder. They played many pop songs including "Thunderstruck" and "Castle on a Cloud."




Comments